5 Tips for Choosing the Right Lubricant
Lubricant is a wonderful thing - and we’re not just saying that because we’re in the business of making sensual products! Lube makes all kinds of play feel way more comfortable; condoms safer and more pleasurable (by reducing friction that can cause condom breakage) and it provides extra moisture when needed (the anus doesn’t self-lubricate and a woman’s natural arousal fluid can vary for any number of reasons including where she is in her cycle, medication, breastfeeding, menopause). Not to mention the fact that lube simply feels amazing.
As our co-owner Mellta Swift points out, “a lube that mimics your own natural juices.. containing soothing humectants…one you barely notice is there, is a completely different and unique experience.”
Finding the right lube is a total game changer. But, what if you’re not even sure where to start? Here are a few things to keep in mind when choosing the right lube.
1. Choose a lube that is Glycerin and Paraben free.
Why? Because both of these ingredients can irritate your body. Glycerin has been known to upset the PH balance and promote yeast infections. Whereas, parabens (those nasty chemicals used as preservatives in all kinds of beauty products - including some lubes), have been linked to endocrine disruption (meaning that they can disrupt your hormonal balance.) So, when lube shopping, it’s important that you avoid both.
Good news: all of our lubricants - Lubricant Pure, Lubricant Lickeurs and Sutil Luxe Body Glide are made with natural ingredients and are paraben free, glycerine free, petroleum free & sugar free - making them perfect for sensitive bodies!
2. How will you be using it?
● Vaginal sex - From silicone lubricants to coconut oil, there are lots of different kinds of lubes that work for vaginal sex. However, we’re big fans of water-based lubes like our Lubricant Pure and Sutil Luxe Body Glide that do an excellent job of mimicking the body’s natural moisture.
(FYI, lots of people enjoy oil-based lubricants (especially for masturbation) but they’re not compatible with condoms and dental dams. Plus, they can disrupt the pH of the vagina, leading to irritation. That’s why we suggest sticking with a water-based lube.)
● Anal sex - The anus doesn’t naturally lubricate itself, so lube is an absolute must for pleasure and safety. Look for lubes that are especially long lasting. Our Sutil Luxe Body Glide is a favourite lube for anal sex because of it’s long lasting silicone-like feel (minus the actual silicone!) …and if you prefer a thicker soothing lube try our Lubricant Pure.
3. Do you want flavor?
Licking something flavorful can definitely turn up the heat on oral sex! However, make sure you read the ingredients first. Like glycerin, sugar is an irritant that can throw off your PH. Most flavoured lubes are made with aspartame…not so good for you! Look for a flavoured lube that’s made with a natural, sugar free sweetener - like our Lubricant Lickeurs which are sweetened with Stevia and come in a variety of delicious, sensual flavors like Hazelnut/Caramel, Coconut/Orange and Chocolate/Strawberry.
4. Double check the ingredient list.
Are you vegan? Do you have sensitivities? Make sure you check the ingredient list before you say “yes” to a lube. For example, all of our lubes are vegan and we clearly list all of the ingredients on the tube so that there are no surprises.
5. Don’t be afraid to experiment.
What might be the “best lube ever!” for one person, might be not-so-awesome for someone else. If you’re not sure about what kind of lube you enjoy - experiment. When you’ve found the perfect lube, you’ll know. In the meantime, have fun!
Now that you have all the right info, go forth and enjoy, slippery, pleasure enhanced, safer sex!